Tarte tatin is a special, delicious French dessert, but if You want to give it a twist bake this savory version with some juicy tomatoes and aubergine!
Here is what you’ll need:
1 big aubergine
aprrox. 200 gr tomatoes
1 red bell pepper (kápia)
1 whole garlic bulb (preferably oak-smoked)
350 gr ready rolled puff pastry sheet
100 gr mozarella
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
some olive oil
salt (to taste)
some sprigs of thyme and basil to garnish
1. Wash aubergine, and cut into 1 cm thick slices. Put into a plastic bowl and lightly salt. Set aside for at least 20-30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C. Wash the pepper and place on a kitchen foil. Sprinkle with some olive oil, scatter with some salt, then wrap up. Cut the upper third of garlic, salt lightly, and place on an other sheet of kitchen foil. Sprinkle with some olive oil as well and wrap up. Put the parcels on a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes.
3. Leave the parcels to cool to room temperature then take the pepper out. Discard seeds and skin off, put the flesh into a chopper or blender. Carefully push out or squeeze all the tender garlic cloves from the skin, add to the pepper and mix well for a few seconds. Add basil, thyme and salt to taste.
4. Turn the heat up to 200 C. Wash tomatoes then slice into thick slices.
5. Take a frying pan that fits into your oven, and has a metal handle instead of plastic. Drop some olive oil into that, brush the bottom with the half of pepper spread, and place tomatoe slices nicely. Never forget, the downside of the tatin will be upside if You are ready! Cover them with aubergine slices and brush them with the remaining pepper spread.
6. Take the puff pastry and cut a bit bigger circle out that than the size of the frying pan. Place over the vegs, arrange the edges in a tidy sort of way, and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the pan.
8. Take a nice, big plate and place tightly over the pan. Turn out the tatin, garnish the top of the vegs with some fresh herbs, tear the mozzarella into small pieces and arrange on the top nicely then serve with some drops of balsamic vinegar.